The History of MPRWF
Our local Club was founded as the Monterey Peninsula Republican Women’s Club on November 9, 1949. Founding members included Mrs. Daisy Taylor, Mrs. Ethel Young (Virginia Stanton’s mother) and Mrs. Dorothy Green Chapman. Mrs. Karl Hisgen served as the first president. In November 1950, the Club became a member of the California Council of Republican Women and the National Federation of Women’s Clubs. At that time there were four hundred (400) local members. In 1952, the Monterey Peninsula group divided into two clubs; Monterey Bay Republican Women’s Club and the Carmel Republican Women’s Club. adopted new bylaws and elected officers. The first president of the Carmel club was Mrs. Robert (Virginia) Stanton. Initial Membership in the Carmel club was five hundred and eighty-six (586).